In addition to being cooked into a sweet jengkol stew, crunchy jengkol is also delicious combined with a pungent chili sauce. Just add warm rice!
350 g old jengkol
water, to boil jengkol
2 tablespoons of oil for sauteing
1 teaspoon salt
3 bay leaves1 lemongrass stalk
5 cloves of garlic
8 cloves of shallot
5 large red chilies
15 red cayenne peppers
3 cm turmeric
50 g brown sugar
How to make:
• Boil the water to a boil, then add the jengkol into it.
• Boil jengkol until soft, then lift and peel the skin.
• Sprinkle the jengkol until it is rather thin.
• Puree garlic, onion, large red chili, red cayenne, turmeric and brown sugar
• Saute seasonings that have been mashed with bay leaves and lemongrass until fragrant.
• Add a little water and let stand until boiling then add jengkol.
• Season with salt, add pepper and sugar if you want.
• Stir until evenly distributed then wait until the jengkol is completely cooked.